Friday, August 17, 2012

Washington DC Day Three

Here is our new family blog mascot picture...on of the National Geographic Photo Contest winners that was on display at the Museum
Day three of DC was experienced only by myself, Madeline, Kayla (Madeline's bff) and Paige. We had asked what Kayla wanted to do for her last day with us and she answered "as many Smithsonian museums as we can". Well, dad and the little people were just fine bowing out of this day and opted to stay home and swim all day, so the girls and I took off early in the morning (equipped with cameras, good walking shoos and our lunches) and made it home by dinner time...we only saw 2 museums, and not even every part of them...THEY.ARE.HUGE!!!! Morning was spent in the Natural History Museum and afternoon spent in the American History Museum. Being the science person that I am, the Natural History was my hands-down favorite but both Kayla and Madeline very much enjoyed the American History one. Overall, it was a super, glorious, fun, fantastic, tiring, wonderful day!! I have told John, Luke and Lila that we WILL be going back to the Natural History Museum next week because they MUST see it, and I "promise they will like it"!! So, either I was too tired or not really interested in the American History Museum, cuz I didn't take any pictures in there :-)). Terrible, I know!! If you really need some...I'll send John back in...he says he wants to see it...this time, I'll be at the pool!! Overall, our first three days in DC have been fantastic!! We put Kayla on the plane this morning (Friday) on her way back to her sweet family. She was an absolute blessing to have with us and we can't thank her parents enough for letting her come :-)). Our Miss Madeline has been quite melancholy all day, I'm afraid :-(. We even made it back in time from the airport to tour the White House!! Geez, I'm worn out!! I came home and slept for almost three hours this afternoon!! This weekend's agenda...do NOTHING!! Except get a new phone!! Being without my cell for the last week has been a bummer for sure...sorry to those who have tried to call or text...I can't receive anything...I can't even turn it on :-((. I may be asking for people's information again if they can't transfer my stuff to my new phone?? I'll keep you posted. For now, dinner and back to bed :-)). Blessings, Lioness

Animals of ALL shapes and sizes were in this Museum...even "Phoenix" the whale
 

The African Room in the Museum
 

The elephant welcomes you as you enter the Museum :-)).
 

Paige's favorite part of the Museum...ROCKS!! At least these were pretty rocks :-)). It was actually an AMAZING gem and mineral display and it totally "ROCKED"!!
 

My favorite part...the indoor butterfly garden!! Can you find the beautiful "camo" butterfly?
 

My favorite one...brilliant blue!!
 

Strange picture to post...I know!! But this HUGE butterfly landed on me so I had to get a picture...weird angle for sure!! It stayed on me for about 10-15 minutes while we walked thru the garden. It was TOTALLY AWESOME!!
 

More rocks, I mean "gems" for Paige and her Papa!
 

Had to include the turquoise from our home state!!
 

Better picture of the blue beauty!
 

Massive, ugly bug!!...Paige touched it!!...Not the rest of us!!
 

Can't forget the dinosaurs and fossil exhibits too!!
 

1 comment:

  1. We are so enjoying the pictures. I loved DC. Harley was 2 when went and she walked the entire mall, Lincoln Memorial, Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and Arlington Cemetery in one day. She refused to ride in her stroller so it became the official water bottle, souvenir and snack carrier. We loved the rail system. Kevin's cousin Kim lives in DC and she's been giving a tour this week to some of her friends. She works for Senator Orrin Hatch. Just finished a project for the Senate Finance Committee. She's an amazing lady. We miss you guys so much. Not sure if you are going back and reading comments but if you are, know we love and miss you! Truly enjoying the journey right along with you!

    ReplyDelete